MyFuture is a “what to do next” portal for US high school students that features multi-agency information, though the Department of Defense seems to be the biggest partner. From their “about us” page:
Myfuture.com helps young adults plan their next steps in life by bringing together the most recently available information about colleges, careers and military service opportunities from the U.S. Departments of Commerce, Defense, Education and Labor.
Developed by the Department of Defense and Joint Advertising Market Research & Studies (JAMRS), myfuture.com features career, college and military content, allowing users to explore all possibilities and gain insight into each option. For the first time, unbiased, detailed information on more than 900 civilian and military career fields and nearly 7,000 accredited colleges has been made accessible to young adults in one comprehensive site. In addition to college admissions details, average salaries and employment trends, myfuture.com provides advice on everything from taking the SAT to interviewing for a first job to preparing for boot camp. Step-by-step planning checklists are also provided as a guide for users, and favorite job and school information can be saved for return visits. Since myfuture.com is designed for young adults at many different life stages, we hope it will prove a helpful resource for many years.
Myfuture.com uses data from these official sources:
- American Association of State Colleges and Universities
- Servicemember Opportunity College data
- Department of Commerce
- Census Bureau: American Community Survey, Current Population Survey
- Department of Defense
- Defense Manpower Data Center: Military Pay File
- U.S. Armed Forces: ROTC data
- Department of Education
- National Center for Education Statistics: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System, Classification of Instructional Programs
- Office of Postsecondary Education
- Department of Labor
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Employment Statistics, Employment Projections Program
- Employment & Training Administration: O*NET
Myfuture.com does not offer career counseling, but acknowledges that self-assessment is key to developing career goals. The site provides a breadth of information not previously available in a single destination, making it a useful resource for both those with career goals in mind and those who are still early in the self-assessment process. No matter what a young adult chooses to do, it is our intent to help him or her make informed decisions and set the stage for a successful life.
Have you used MyFuture? I’d like to hear about your experience.