Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)
Registration Open for the 2014 YA Literature Symposium
YALSA would love to see you in Austin, TX, for the 2014 YA Literature Symposium this year on November 14-16. Check out the preliminary program, apply for a travel stipend grant and/or register at www.ala.org/yalitsymposium.
Get Up to Date on the Future of Library Services for and with Teens
Each Monday in March YALSA held online discussions with leaders in the field about a different topic from the new report (www.ala.org/yaforum/project–report). Speakers included Mimi Ito, Buffy Hamilton, Renee Hobbs and K-Fai Steele. To access the recordings go to www.ala.org/yaforum/resources.
100 Days til Summer Countdown!
Join YALSA in counting down the 100 days til summer. Every 25 days YALSA is hosting an online forum and giving away prizes. Forums include:
- April 8 – Effective school outreach,
- May 2 – Building summer learning into existing reading programs,
- May 27 – Tips for marketing to teens.
Learn more or participate at http://summerreading.ning.com/
Free Making in the Library Toolkit
YALSA’s Makerspace Resources Taskforce created an awesome new resource just for you!
Access it and other tools and tips at http://wikis.ala.org/yalsa/index.php/Maker_%26_DIY_Programs
[Daniel – This looked useful enough I put it into our library’s weekly newsletter.]
We Take the ‘Work’ out of Workshop!
YALSA offers help to anyone doing some training for fellow librarians and library workers about teen services. Two training kits have everything needed—pre-made Powerpoints, a script, suggested interactive activities, and bibliographies of further resources. Use each kit for a full day of training, or use the modules to offer the training in one hour segments. Learn more and view a free demo at www.ala.org/yalsa/young–adults–deserve–best
YALSA’s Teaming up for Continuing Education
YALSA is proud to be a founding member of both the Badge Alliance and the Coalition for National Learning (working title). The Badge Alliance is a network of organizations and individuals working to enhance the open badging system. Learn more at www.badgealliance.org. The coalition will focus on strengthening communities through impactful continuing education and professional development for library, museum and archive workers.
[Daniel – As someone who works with staff from libraries, archives and museums, I’m really anticipating what might come out of the Coalition for National Learning. ]
Upcoming YALSA Activities & Events
- April 1, registration opens for YA Lit Symposium, www.ala.org/yalitsymposium
- April 8, 75 Days til Summer online forum, “Effective school outreach” http://summerreading.ning.com/
- April 17, Celebrate Teen Literature Day. YALSA announces Teens’ Top Ten nominees and launches themed products for 2014 Teen Read Week
- April 17, webinar: “Turn Your SRP into Summer Learning,” www.ala.org/yalsa/webinars
- Apply by May 1 for Teens’ Top Ten grants, http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/n1bHfei9Q6h27
- May 2, 50 Days til Summer online forum, “Building summer learning into existing reading programs, http://summerreading.ning.com/
- Apply by May 27 for YALSA’s mentoring program, http://www.ala.org/yalsa/profdev/mentoring
- Apply by June 1 for Teen Read Week™ grants, http://teenreadweek.ning.com/
For more events and information, visit http://wikis.ala.org/yalsa/index.php/Calendar_of_Events or https://firstname.lastname@example.org&ctz=America/Chicago&gsessionid =OK
This was excerpted from EBD # 12.20 2013-2014 Report to Council and Executive Board April 4, 2014 from Keith Michael Fiels Executive Director.