From the ALA Executive Director’s report 12/11/2014:
Great Websites for Kids
ALSC has added more sites to Great Websites for Kids, its online resource containing hundreds of links to exceptional websites for children. Sites are reviewed and chosen for inclusion by ALSC’s Great Websites for Kids Committee.
- App Inventor – http://www.appinventor.org
- Cyberchase – http://pbskids.org/cyberchase/
- Duolingo – https://www.duolingo.com/
- Hour of Code – http://csedweek.org/learn
- My Garbology – http://www.naturebridge.org/garbology.php
- Scratch – http://scratch.mit.edu/
- U.S. EPA’s RadTown USA – http://www.epa.gov/radtown/index.html
I have personally worked with Duolingo and Scratch and I think those sites are appropriate for all ages. I’ve bookmarked AppInventor.org as it promises to have students of all ages building Android apps within hours. Experimenting with this is definitely on my to-do list for 2014.
If you have experience with any of the sites listed here, please leave a comment.