Before I get into the main write up of Council III, I wanted to share what memorials and tributes we passed in ALA Council because I think they should stand on their own.
- Ned Vizzini, M-#7
- John Ganly, M-#8
- Naomi Kietzke Young, M-#9
- Orvin Lee Shiflet, M-#10
- Richard Sweeney, M-#11
- Dolores Bullock Owen, M-#12
- Trudy Seidel Jaques, M-#13
- Larry Romans, M-#14
- Charles Weld Robinson, M-#15
- Victims of the Pulse Nightclub Shootings, M-#16
- Resolution Honoring the 25th Anniversary of the Video Round Table, T-#3
- Resolution Honoring the 25th Anniversary of the Mortenson Center for International Library Programs, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, T-#4
- Resolution Thanking Mary Alice Baish for Her Service as the 30th GPO Superintendent of Documents, T#5
There was a poignant moment after the names of the people memorialized were read aloud. A Councilor who was a personal mentee of Charles Weld Robinson used a “point of personal privilege” to read his entire memorial resolution so would be in the actual meeting recording. I had encouraged her to do this when I learned how deeply she felt his loss to her and to public librarians generally. Some things are definitely worth taking time away from Council.