This page is mostly for me, but you’re welcome to look around. I was the Alaska Chapter Councilor the American Library Association (ALA) Council from 2014-2016.
Think of ALA Council as a sort of Congress for libraries. We set policy for the American Library Association. This policy is carried out by the ALA Executive Board. It is only binding on the Association. Individual libraries are not bound by ALA policy, but at our best we create policies and initiatives worth following.
This page contains bookmarks that I found myself looking for over and over during my time on Council.
- Council home page
- Council actions since 2008
- Council documents (website)
- Council documents (ALA Connect)
- Resolutions originating in Committee on Legislation (2001 to present) – Virtually all resolutions that ask Congress or the Executive Branch are vetted by the Committee on Legislation.
- Executive Board documents
- Chapter Councilor resources
- alacoun list archives – available to all
- COL Subcommittee on Telecommunications (ALA website)
- Telecom Subcommittee (ALA Connect Closed Group)
- ALA 101: Structure, organization and governance
- ALA and library related acronyms (ALA Library)
- ALA Constitution and Bylaws
- ALA Library Fact Sheets
- ALA Policy Manual
- ALA Washington Office
- ALA Committee on Legislation
- ALA Connect – I actually don’t have to go looking for this link or the subgroups, but it is a useful resource.
- ALA Codes and Bills of Rights